יום שלישי, 27 בספטמבר 2016

206. Ride Report Portugal Alem Tejo 1200 2016

Hello,


My ride report of the Portugal Alem Tejo 1200 of 2016.




My affair with the Pedro, the Portuguese representative, started in PBP 2015.
We met after the ride, and he told me that he was impressed how a small country like Israel was able to organize a 1200 km brevet.
He wanted to organize one too, and I told him that I'll be happy to help him in any way I can.

When he published that he planned a 1200 km brevet in 2016, I requested to join.
It was supposed to be a relatively small event (with up to 25 participants.)
I like riding the small events, as you get to meet other riders more closely, and form good friendships.

In the end, it was to be a "Worker's Ride," with the first official Portuguese 1200 next season, in 2017.
Only 2 Portuguese riders (Jose and Rui) registered, and myself, so the total field was 3 riders.
When I searched their names in the PBP 2015 finisher's list, I saw that they finished in similar times as me, so I assumed that we ride in a similar way.


Pedro and Filomena manned the support vehicle which had water and food for specific controls.
We started the ride together, and reached the first ferry terminal (there are 2 ferries at the beginning of this brevet.)
Juse helped me with the ticket machine, which was in Portuguese only.
We waited about 25 minutes for the ferry, and boarded it.

The section after the first ferry was still urban, and we rode with many cars around.
We rode together, and at one village Jose stopped and went into a cafe.
Rui and me followed him.
Jose said that he wants a cake from there.
I bought a croissant.
When I realized that Jose and Rui planned on sitting down for relatively long, I told them that I'll "continue slowly and they'll catch me."

From there the road began to climb, with trees around.
Then the view opened and it was stunning.
Foresty mountains reaching the sea.
I took some pictures, and the other riders caught up with me.
We continued together, while Jose and me taking pictures from time to time.

At one point Jose opened a gap at one of the ascends, and Rui and me stayed together behind.
There was a big descent to the coast, and then along the coast to the 2nd ferry.
Rui helped with the tickets, and when we reached the boarding place we saw the ferry leave.
Jose was on it, and Rui and me waited 30 minutes for the next ferry.

When we got off the ferry, Rui rode fast, and I was close behind, taking the lead from time to time.
Rui led most of the way.
It was afternoon and we were hungry, so Rui suggested detouring into a nearby village.
We went into the supermarket, which didn't have any prepared food.
Rui talked with the people there in Portuguese, and they were willing to open a bag of buns, slice cheese or meat, and in effect, make us sandwiches.
We ate the sandwiches on a fence outside the supermarket.
Rui told me that for him the 1st day is usually slower, and he's faster on days 2 and 3.
I said that I'm at my top speed, and sometimes crossing it, and I'll need to take things slower.

We reached the 1st control at Cercal (about 160 km) together, and they told us that Jose was 40 minutes ahead of us.
I stayed with Rui while he was taking his time with his gear, and we left after more than 40 minutes (I was ready to leave in under 20 minutes.)
We continued riding together to the 2nd control as well.
About 4 km before the 2nd control, Rui stopped at a cafe.
He said that he prefer this place over the one at the control (the 2nd control is a cafe...)
So we stopped twice in 4 km.

After the 2nd control at Odeceixe (about 215 km) Rui took off and disappeared in the horizon. I was alone.
The 3rd control at Sagres (about 280 km) has an 8km out-and-back.
As I was riding to the control I saw Jose on his way back. We stopped for a minute or two to chat.
He told me that he didn't see Rui, which was strange.
Next to the control there was a supermarket which closed 20 minutes before I got there.
I rode to the control, and stopped at a restaurant on the way back.
The fastest dish they had was a hamburger which I had.
As I finished eating Rui entered the restaurant (he saw my bike outside.)
He said that he ate in the previous village, and we were ready to leave together.

It was after 21:00, and dark. We had more than 100 km till the sleep control at Loule (about 385 km.)
When I asked Pedro about this section he said that "there are hundreds of places open there."
Rui took off, and I was alone again.
I had 2.5 liters of water which I didn't know whether I could refill in that section or not.
I rode slowly to save on my water supply.
I didn't see any open places.
I felt tired, and stopped for a 15 mins nap.
Then in one village, at 2:00 am, I heard loud music, and went inside.
They refilled my water bottles.
I had 2 more short naps, and reached the sleep control at 04:00 am.

Jose reached it about 3 hours before me, and Rui about 1 hour with no sleep.
I woke up with the others, which means that Rui and me slept the same amount of hours.
We left together more than an hour before the closing time, but soon they opened a gap and disappeared.
I saw them sitting at a cafe about 8 km before the control, and stopped with them.
We rode to the control at Vila Real de Santo Antonio (about 445 km) together, and stopped at a pastry shop.
I bought a croissant and put it in my pocket.
The pave in that town was really bad.

After that control, the rode started to climb, and I was left alone again.
The area was sparsely populated, and the villages were 15-20 km apart.
I decided I don't want to ride alone for another 2 days, and decided to quit, after about 500 km and about 30 hours.
I called Pedro, which came in about 20 minutes.
I told Pedro and Filomena that I'm at their service, and stayed with them in the support car until the end,
mainly carrying stuff to/from the car, setting up the tables at the controls, etc.

Being in the support car with the organizers, it was like The Matrix has revealed itself.
Suddenly I saw many cafes, restaurants, and places to get food and water.


Jose and Rui continued their strategy of riding fast and hard, with long stops.
They rode alone for the majority of the time.
At one occasion, they stopped in 2 different places in the same village, at the same time.

They rode the last 30-50 km together, and finished together with many hours to spare.
Hats off to them!


---

Some insights and pointers to riders who plan on riding in Portugal:

*) Most of the Portuguese are Lone Wolves.
They have no problem riding alone for days.
They like to keep their own schedule, stopping in places they know from previous rides.

*) Portugal Randonneurs ride with a reflective vest at all times.

*) All villages have pave.
Mostly the pave is in bad condition. The pave in Belgium is like a Formula 1 race track compared to the pave in Portugal.
In some places the pave is made up of round stones, which makes it even harder, and needs more careful riding in the wet.

*) There are public toilets where you can refill your water bottles.
I didn't see any public toilets when I was riding, but in the car, they pointed some.
The toilets aren't always marked. Sometimes there are very small black symbols on a white wall.

*) Some villages has water fountains.
The water is mostly good, and there will be a sign if the water isn't potable.

*) A quick dish at restaurants is the Plate of The Day.
Another one is soup, and bread.

*) At supermarkets you can ask them to make you a sandwich.

*) Not all stores are marked.
One time we stopped at a fruit and vegetables store which wasn't signed.
We found it by asking locals.

*) A good indication of places that would sell food and drink, and fill your water bottles: Old Men Sitting Near an Open Door.

תגובה 1:

  1. תמיד מעניין וכיף לקרוא את הסיפורים שלך, עושה חשק לרכיבות (מסוג דומה אך שונה) בשנה הבאה.
    חבל שנאלצת הפעם לפרוש מפאת אימת הרכיבה לבד במדינה זרה שבה התקשורת המעשית מאתגרת ביותר. בהתחשב באלטרנטיבה, החלטה נבונה.

    השבמחק